Choosing a Halloween costume each year is not something that I take lightly. It requires much thought to capture the essence of the character you wish to portray. A few years ago my subject was the one and only Dolly Parton. I must say this was my favorite costume ever! Should you chose to be Dolly for Halloween, allow me to fill you in on the must have’s to pull off your look.
- First, you must have big, and I do mean BIG, blonde hair. My hair is blonde, but even this Texas girl couldn’t get my real hair big enough for Dolly. I decided instead on purchasing a wig. This one is similar to the style I had and can be found at Amazon.
- I could no longer find my original Express tank top, but anything with sequins would do fine, such as this one.
- My costume consisted of a blue jean jacket similar to this one from Old Navy. Just make sure to have one with extra space as you will need to stuff it Dolly style!
- I purchased my belt at Sam Moon. There are so many options of rhinestone belts there.
- The skirt I originally wore I picked up at Old Navy on sale for $12. This one has a similar look though from Amazon.
- I couldn’t find the exact boots that I had originally purchased. Really any cowboy boots would work if you happen to already have a pair. With Dolly though it is always good to be a little extra sparkly! These are by Miranda Lambert.
The great part about this type of costume is that you likely have many items at home that can be paired together to get the same look. The one must have is, of course, Dolly’s top! To achieve this I used:
And I used lots of it. Just a warning, this gets a little itchy after a few hours. Due to this, I combatted the itchiness by wearing a tube top style top underneath and put the Poly-fil between that and my sequin top so that it wouldn’t touch my skin as much.
Also, if you have access to a guitar that makes a great accessory as well. You can also throw on random pieces of jewelry for more shine. Most importantly remember to smile as big as Dolly!
I hope you enjoyed this how to! Should you decide to dress like Dolly please share your pics and we can feature them on Channelling Dolly!
*Full disclosure…Some items in this post link to Amazon.com of which Channelling Dolly participates in their affiliate program, however, all opinions are my own.