The number one question that I get on the Channelling Dolly Facebook and Instagram pages is where do I take my photos. Houston is such a vast city with so many great locations for photography. Like any other large city Houston is also constantly changing so there is always a new favorite place on the horizon. Below you will find a list of Houston’s most Instagram worthy hotspots! Continue reading Houston’s Most Instagram Worthy Hotspots
With the 4th of July coming up this week there is not much time left to plan a party. If you are at a loss as to where to start no worries! Check out this post originally written last year on Channelling Dolly for tips on how to throw a great 4th of July party!
4th of July Party Planning
The island of Galveston lies alongside the Gulf of Mexico 50 miles southeast of Houston, Texas. Not only is it a popular location for locals, but its’ beachside community and cruise ship terminal make it a tourist destination for over 6 million visitors per year. When in Galveston one can’t help but notice the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier at 25th Street and Seawall Blvd. Jutting out over the water the pier provides an atmosphere of nostalgia for the modern-day amusement park goer. Continue reading Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier
For years Sedona, Arizona has been on my radar for places I must visit. When finally visiting last month it far exceeded my expectations. Allow me to show you why I will always love Sedona.
Continue reading I Will Always Love Sedona
If you own a dog chances are they become a huge part of your family. And what is better than a fun family vacation? If your pup is in the room with you don’t pass on this next statement. Not all cities are dog-friendly! Oh, the horror! Here at Channelling Dolly, we won’t focus on those places though! Allow me to introduce you to dog-friendly Austin.
I have written about Austin several times on Channelling Dolly, here and here. One of the million reasons that I keep running back to this glorious Texas city as often as possible is that it is so easy for me to take Barkley there. Here are some of our favorite places to hit up while in the city!
*Note the pep talk in the photo above. Thou shall not bite anyone while in a public place because if you are ugly on the inside you look ugly on the outside! 😉
South Congress Avenue
If one area embodies the feel of quintessential Austin more than any other it would have to be South Congress Avenue. The shops are quirky. The people are refreshingly open and friendly and the entire area is very welcoming to dogs and their humans. Most of the shops allow your dogs inside and many of the restaurants have outdoor seating areas that are open to your furry children. Several people even offered Barkley water which was very sweet considering the day was extremely hot.
*Channelling Dolly top choice for dining with your pet on South Congress is Home Slice! This pizza rivals that of NYC and the staff is top notch! Continue reading Dog-Friendly Austin
To say that New York City is full of things to see, do and eat is an understatement! When visiting it can be very difficult to narrow down the list of things to do. Not to worry! For this reason, I have compiled for you 8 must-see NYC spaces!
Continue reading 8 Must-See NYC Spaces
Long have I had a love affair with California. The air, the sun, the beautiful hills. As the summer nears I am having a serious case of California dreaming. One thing fueling my love of the Golden State is the fact that the Disney properties originated there. Nothing like a trip to Disney California Adventure to satiate your desire for all things the state has to offer! Let me show you why I will always love this park and give you some tips for your time there!
California Adventure has some of the most beautiful picture spots of any of the parks. Mickey’s’ Fun Wheel provides one of them. If at all possible get to the park early and stay late. All of the Disney parks take on a different look at night and it is truly worth seeing them both ways.
Seeing Mickey’s face reflected in Paradise Bay below is stunning! This view sets the background for the nighttime spectacular World of Color.
When visiting Disney California Adventure you are doing yourself a disservice if you leave without watching World of Color. Putting the Bellagio fountains to shame, Disney outdid themselves with this show. Pieces of our favorite Disney films are projected onto the water as the fountains change colors to set the mood.
Another thing that Disney outdid themselves with at this park was the addition of Cars Land. It is truly one of the best-themed areas in any of the Disney parks. Guests are instantly transported from Southern California to Route 66.
Both the young and the young at heart will adore Radiator Springs Racers. The ride vehicles are identical to those in the Cars movie. All of the characters from the Disney favorite make an appearance as the ride takes guests on a high-speed race!
Grizzly River Run gives guests the feeling of being on a rafting adventure in the Sierra Nevada mountains. The grizzly mountain can be seen peeking out amongst the trees from various parts of the park.
Warning! Almost everyone gets wet on this ride. Many get soaked! This ride has a drop much larger than most of the raft rides which means a very big splash at the end. Make sure to store all electronics in the lockers outside the ride while walking up to board. It is not worth the risk of ruining your phones or cameras on your vacation.
Now that you have seen a little of what the park has to offer allow me to give you a few tips for your visit.
- To make the most of your day check out the schedule for the day you will be visiting. Aim to get there an hour before the park opens in order to park and be early to the entrance.
- Ladies wear a backpack or crossbody bag. It is so much easier to have your hands free. Not to mention carrying a purse on your shoulder at Disney all day literally is a pain in the neck.
- Don’t forget the essentials. Sunscreen, Dramamine for those with motion sickness, bandaids, memory cards for the cameras. All of these things can be purchased on property, but why pay a premium when you can purchase them before entering the land of Disney? Add poncho to your list if you wish to ride Grizzly River Run without walking around waterlogged the rest of the day.
- Pack some battery chargers for your phones so that you can charge them throughout the day. You may need them charged should your group decide to split up.
- Dress in layers. Southern California temperatures can change drastically throughout the day. One minute it is sweater weather and the next it is sweltering. Be prepared for both.
- Have a chicken in the family who has to be coaxed onto rides? No judgment here as I am the same way. One way to ease that anxiety is to watch the rides beforehand on YouTube. There are so many great videos from a rider’s perspective that have helped me feel secure about hopping on certain rides.
- Finally just make sure to have a great time! It is so easy to get frustrated if the lines are long, or the kids need a nap or a plethora of other reasons. Above all strive to remember the memories you build at a Disney park will be with you for years to come. Don’t let the little things stand in your way of the happiest place on earth!
Surely you are ready to book your trip now! To do so head over to:
Traveling is such a wonderful way to see the world, destress and spend time with your family. It is a way to leave your troubles at home and find your peace. However, it can be so expensive that the cost associated with being the carefree version of yourself begins to be a stressor! Never bother with that! After traveling for many years and seeking out the best ways to save I would like to share with you all my tips to spend less so you can travel more! Continue reading Tips to Spend Less So You Can Travel More!
First of all, I challenge you to say Be Our Guest twice and not immediately go into the full show tune from Beauty and the Beast. How many of you out there are excited about the new version of the classic movie coming out March 17th? To say I am ecstatic is an understatement, though secretly I am praying that they do justice to my favorite animated film! If you need your fix of Belle and the Beast until the spring though you can get it by visiting Disney’s Be Our Guest Restaurant at the Magic Kingdom! Continue reading Be Our Guest