Long have I had a love affair with California. The air, the sun, the beautiful hills. As the summer nears I am having a serious case of California dreaming. One thing fueling my love of the Golden State is the fact that the Disney properties originated there. Nothing like a trip to Disney California Adventure to satiate your desire for all things the state has to offer! Let me show you why I will always love this park and give you some tips for your time there!
California Adventure has some of the most beautiful picture spots of any of the parks. Mickey’s’ Fun Wheel provides one of them. If at all possible get to the park early and stay late. All of the Disney parks take on a different look at night and it is truly worth seeing them both ways.
Seeing Mickey’s face reflected in Paradise Bay below is stunning! This view sets the background for the nighttime spectacular World of Color.
When visiting Disney California Adventure you are doing yourself a disservice if you leave without watching World of Color. Putting the Bellagio fountains to shame, Disney outdid themselves with this show. Pieces of our favorite Disney films are projected onto the water as the fountains change colors to set the mood.
Another thing that Disney outdid themselves with at this park was the addition of Cars Land. It is truly one of the best-themed areas in any of the Disney parks. Guests are instantly transported from Southern California to Route 66.
Both the young and the young at heart will adore Radiator Springs Racers. The ride vehicles are identical to those in the Cars movie. All of the characters from the Disney favorite make an appearance as the ride takes guests on a high-speed race!
Grizzly River Run gives guests the feeling of being on a rafting adventure in the Sierra Nevada mountains. The grizzly mountain can be seen peeking out amongst the trees from various parts of the park.
Warning! Almost everyone gets wet on this ride. Many get soaked! This ride has a drop much larger than most of the raft rides which means a very big splash at the end. Make sure to store all electronics in the lockers outside the ride while walking up to board. It is not worth the risk of ruining your phones or cameras on your vacation.
Now that you have seen a little of what the park has to offer allow me to give you a few tips for your visit.
- To make the most of your day check out the schedule for the day you will be visiting. Aim to get there an hour before the park opens in order to park and be early to the entrance.
- Ladies wear a backpack or crossbody bag. It is so much easier to have your hands free. Not to mention carrying a purse on your shoulder at Disney all day literally is a pain in the neck.
- Don’t forget the essentials. Sunscreen, Dramamine for those with motion sickness, bandaids, memory cards for the cameras. All of these things can be purchased on property, but why pay a premium when you can purchase them before entering the land of Disney? Add poncho to your list if you wish to ride Grizzly River Run without walking around waterlogged the rest of the day.
- Pack some battery chargers for your phones so that you can charge them throughout the day. You may need them charged should your group decide to split up.
- Dress in layers. Southern California temperatures can change drastically throughout the day. One minute it is sweater weather and the next it is sweltering. Be prepared for both.
- Have a chicken in the family who has to be coaxed onto rides? No judgment here as I am the same way. One way to ease that anxiety is to watch the rides beforehand on YouTube. There are so many great videos from a rider’s perspective that have helped me feel secure about hopping on certain rides.
- Finally just make sure to have a great time! It is so easy to get frustrated if the lines are long, or the kids need a nap or a plethora of other reasons. Above all strive to remember the memories you build at a Disney park will be with you for years to come. Don’t let the little things stand in your way of the happiest place on earth!
Surely you are ready to book your trip now! To do so head over to: