There are quite a few stereotypes about Texas girls. One of those is that we love big hair! While that stereotype is true try having hair up to the heavens in humid Houston weather. It is not a feat for amateurs that is for sure! But you can have good hair in Texas! You just need a little help!
Day after day I curl my hair before going out and about. Unfortunately, the moment I step outside it generally falls into a sad state leaving me left with the feeling that I did all of that work in vain. I have tried product after product to get my curls to stay. Most didn’t hold up to their promises. And then came Kenra into my life!
Caricatures are such a fun piece of artwork. Above all the subject of the drawing always has their features completely exaggerated and become a character of themselves. Little quirks or larger features become magnified, but most of all they are a whimsical cartoon version of a person. This week our Yes Please! item is an exaggeration on our lovely queen. Dolly is such a character already that there is no doubt a play on her features would be over the top! Behold the Dolly Parton Celebrity Caricature from Don Howard Studios!
All the Details
The Dolly Parton Celebrity Caricature is limited to only 5000 copies! Each print arrives with a numbered certificate of authenticity. The one featured here is printed on 8X10 inch cardstock, however, larger versions can be purchased on Don Howard’s full site here. This item is made in the United States, but can be shipped worldwide! For more info or to order a Dolly Caricature of your own check out Don Howard Studios on Etsy here!
Those of you who follow Channelling Dolly, especially on Instagram, know my obsession with my little man Barkley. I find no greater joy than that of spoiling the boy with toys, vacations, and products for dogs. Recently I had the opportunity to team up with Pet Magasin to learn about their heated dog beds! This one is for all the fur babies out there!
When Channelling Dolly first started last summer I wanted to start the Yes Please! feature as a way to bring Dolly inspired items to my readers. At that time I reached out to Kayci Wheatley and she was gracious enough to be the first feature with her Dolly umbrella! Back then Kayci was selling her groovy things on Etsy. However, she has now branched out to her very own website and you guys it is so good! I tried to pick just one item to show you today, but this is what happens when you can’t choose just one Dolly Parton item!
Kayci’s items have been featured in top publications such as the New York Times, Essence, Cosmopolitan and many more. Now though she is right here for all of you who will truly appreciate all the Dolly she is bringing here on Channelling Dolly! Plus it is fitting these darling items come to us from my favorite Texas city, Austin. I love supporting my fellow Texans!
Whether you need Dolly items for yourself, your little ones, your home or for gifts Kayci’s shop is sure to deliver. Also, note there are finds featuring other celebs such as Prince and David Bowie and others. For more info check out Kayci Wheatley.com
When scouring the internet for items for the weekly Yes Please! feature I look for shops that speak my language. Of course, here on Channelling Dolly there needs to be a Dolly item, but also something else to catch my eye. This week’s shop Atomicrocketpoplab got my attention by transporting me back to my youth.
Shop owner Rocket Hulsey has created a set of six Dolly Parton magnets showing off our favorite lady in different looks. Not only does Atomicrocketpoplab have Dolly though! Rocket mixes in his love of classic pop culture in a way that by looking at the shop online you feel as if you have walked into a cool vintage record store! Think notebooks with the likes of Cyndi Lauper and Motley Crue. Pins with different artists including the one who my heart still mourns for, Prince. It is like a fantastic blast from the past this shop!
All the Details
The custom Dolly 1.5 inch square fridge magnets can be found by clicking here! They are made in the United States and are available to ship worldwide! Not only are these beauties perfect for the fridge, but wouldn’t Dolly look great in a cube helping you smile at your 9 to 5. Or more up to today’s standards your 7 to 6! Either way, head over to Atomicrocketpoplab and give the shop a hello from Channelling Dolly!
Long have I had a love affair with California. The air, the sun, the beautiful hills. As the summer nears I am having a serious case of California dreaming. One thing fueling my love of the Golden State is the fact that the Disney properties originated there. Nothing like a trip to Disney California Adventure to satiate your desire for all things the state has to offer! Let me show you why I will always love this park and give you some tips for your time there!
California Adventure has some of the most beautiful picture spots of any of the parks. Mickey’s’ Fun Wheel provides one of them. If at all possible get to the park early and stay late. All of the Disney parks take on a different look at night and it is truly worth seeing them both ways.
Seeing Mickey’s face reflected in Paradise Bay below is stunning! This view sets the background for the nighttime spectacular World of Color.
When visiting Disney California Adventure you are doing yourself a disservice if you leave without watching World of Color. Putting the Bellagio fountains to shame, Disney outdid themselves with this show. Pieces of our favorite Disney films are projected onto the water as the fountains change colors to set the mood.
Another thing that Disney outdid themselves with at this park was the addition of Cars Land. It is truly one of the best-themed areas in any of the Disney parks. Guests are instantly transported from Southern California to Route 66.
Both the young and the young at heart will adore Radiator Springs Racers. The ride vehicles are identical to those in the Cars movie. All of the characters from the Disney favorite make an appearance as the ride takes guests on a high-speed race!
Grizzly River Run gives guests the feeling of being on a rafting adventure in the Sierra Nevada mountains. The grizzly mountain can be seen peeking out amongst the trees from various parts of the park.
Warning! Almost everyone gets wet on this ride. Many get soaked! This ride has a drop much larger than most of the raft rides which means a very big splash at the end. Make sure to store all electronics in the lockers outside the ride while walking up to board. It is not worth the risk of ruining your phones or cameras on your vacation.
Now that you have seen a little of what the park has to offer allow me to give you a few tips for your visit.
- To make the most of your day check out the schedule for the day you will be visiting. Aim to get there an hour before the park opens in order to park and be early to the entrance.
- Ladies wear a backpack or crossbody bag. It is so much easier to have your hands free. Not to mention carrying a purse on your shoulder at Disney all day literally is a pain in the neck.
- Don’t forget the essentials. Sunscreen, Dramamine for those with motion sickness, bandaids, memory cards for the cameras. All of these things can be purchased on property, but why pay a premium when you can purchase them before entering the land of Disney? Add poncho to your list if you wish to ride Grizzly River Run without walking around waterlogged the rest of the day.
- Pack some battery chargers for your phones so that you can charge them throughout the day. You may need them charged should your group decide to split up.
- Dress in layers. Southern California temperatures can change drastically throughout the day. One minute it is sweater weather and the next it is sweltering. Be prepared for both.
- Have a chicken in the family who has to be coaxed onto rides? No judgment here as I am the same way. One way to ease that anxiety is to watch the rides beforehand on YouTube. There are so many great videos from a rider’s perspective that have helped me feel secure about hopping on certain rides.
- Finally just make sure to have a great time! It is so easy to get frustrated if the lines are long, or the kids need a nap or a plethora of other reasons. Above all strive to remember the memories you build at a Disney park will be with you for years to come. Don’t let the little things stand in your way of the happiest place on earth!
Surely you are ready to book your trip now! To do so head over to: